A Vintage Clothing Haul

Last month I headed to Leeds Armouries with my boyfriend, sister, and cousin to check out a vintage sale. It was one that charged by the kilo, and I came away with three items. I love looking at vintage clothing, but had never gone to a kilo sale before this.



The first item I purchased was a red denim jacket. By the looks of the labels, it's made in Germany. The label says a Size 16, but it's not too big. I'm usually a 12 and on me, it just looks a little bit oversized.

I love that it's fully lined - a rarity for denim jackets these days. The shape is great too. I often find with vintage jackets/jumpers that the arms are massive at the top. I don't know what people were thinking in the 1980s because it's just not flattering at all!

Around the cuffs you can see the original colour of the jacket, which was a fair bit darker. I gave it a wash with a Colour Catcher, which picked up a lot of dye. I'm going to try and keep it as clean as I can to minimise danger to other clothes that I wash!




Second is what I like to call "a Weasley jumper". It called out to me from amongst the other jumpers on the rack. I don't know if it's hipster cute or absolutely disgusting, but I couldn't leave it behind. It's 100% wool and good quality, and I've been wearing it with long-sleeved tops though, to help minimise itchiness. It's a man's jumper but the only problem I've noticed is that it comes up a bit long on me. The fit is pretty snug without being tight. 




After a little bit of research, I've discovered that James Meade is a Cumbrian brand, the kind of clothing that your Gran and Grandad wear. This jumper would not look alien in my Grandad's wardrobe, so I'm not surprised. 




I tried to avoid the flannel shirts, as I own too many as it is. But this Hawaiian shirt did catch my eye. It's tip-toeing the line between kitsch and completely garish, and that's why I like it. It's probably one of the more subtle ones I could see, too.

This is the only item I didn't try on and to be honest, I wish I did. It's bloody enormous! I think the only way I can pull this off (oversized clothing tends to make me look oversized) is if I tie the bottom and create some sort of summery crop top, either that or wear it open as a jacket. Despite the size, I love the pattern so am determined to make it work. Bonus points if you read that in a Tim Gunn voice...


 


Have you ever been to a vintage kilo sale? Did you discover anything good?

No comments