Red Lipstick Alternatives (+ swatches)




I am guilty of being unimaginative with my makeup. For a night out (not that I really go out these days) my attitude is "if in doubt, red lipstick". Daytime nude, nighttime red. 
However, I was looking through my stash recently and realised I have so many other colours that don't get enough love. 

So, in this post you'll find four lipsticks that aren't too out there, but a nice change from pillar box!




The Pink - my choice for pink is Soap and Glory's lipstick in Pom Pom. I love the formula of this; for a matte lipstick it's so soft and nourishing, with a subtle cocoa butter smell. I reviewed two of the other shades back in 2015, which you can read here. Pom Pom is somewhat of a "winter pink" but nonetheless stunning. Unfortunately this lipstick shade didn't survive the rebranding, but I'm pretty certain that Pommie Girl from the new collection is almost exactly the same!


The Coral - this one is an old favourite of mine; Max Factor Colour Elixir Lipstick in Pink Brandy. This one got so much love whilst I was at university - there's not much left in the bullet! It's probably the most everyday lipstick out of the four found in this post. And it's the perfect balance between pink and orange. The only one here that isn't matte, but isn't too glossy and is so easy to apply. It's probably the safest option here!


The Orange - Revlon's ColorBurst Matte Balm in Audacious is probably the most daring lip shade. It doesn't get many trips out of my makeup stash because I sometimes worry that it's so bright! But, as mentioned in the comments of my Spring/Summer Lips post, it can just light up your whole face. I think it's slightly more red than in the swatches below, but there's no doubting the orange! I love Revlon's Matte Balms; they're long lasting and have a lovely minty smell.


The Brick Rose - I don't actually know how to name this shade, it's so unusual! But this lipstick is the newest obsession; Urban Decay's Vice Lipstick in Hitch Hike. I just can't get enough of this lipstick, it's unlike anything else that I own! It's definitely a rose coloured lipstick, but the brown within it makes it look more like brick. I can't describe it and do it justice - you've just got to try it. I think Urban Decay's lipsticks are taking over from my MAC ones and I only have two of them so far! I know that at £15 it's the most expensive product on this list, but if I had to buy one it would definitely be Hitch Hike!


L-R: Pom Pom, Pink Brandy, Audacious, Hitch Hike


Are you guilty of the "default red lip"? What're your favourite lipsticks?

No comments