Makeup Haul! Boots/Superdrug - L'oréal, MaxFactor, Maybelline and Natural Collection

Looking at all of this makeup collected together on my dresser, this looks like a pretty big haul by my standards. But I reassure you, this has been purchased over the last month or two. One of which was a trip to Superdrug whilst I was visiting my boyfriend in Wales where, thanks to 3 for 2 and Beautycard/student discounts, I saved almost £13 in one purchase! I feel so proud every time I think about it.
  Omitted from this haul are a couple of things, all from Rimmel - the Clear Complexion Transparent Powder, Wake Me Up Concealer, and a Brow Pencil - simply because they're every day items that I repurchase over and over, so they didn't feel too exciting. I am, however, thinking of doing a post including my 'make up must haves/drugstore starter kit' in which they would most definitely feature! And so, on with the haul!



This collection came in 3 stints - the Maybelline mascaras were snuck into a Superdrug order that I did for my sister; the MaxFactor products in store when I visited Superdrug in sunny Porthcawl (the site of my amazing savings); and the L'oréal/Natural Collection items came from a shopping trip in Cardiff. I've banned myself from buying any more makeup for the foreseeable future; although I will let myself get away with it if I spend my Boots advantage card points (I've amassed quite a lot in the past year).

Maybelline Falsies Flared, Mega Plush; Max Factor Masterpiece Max

I do love a good mascara. And so I bought three new ones.
When I got my Muji makeup drawers, I had a good clear out of stuff as I organised it. Falsies Flared and Mega Plush ended up in the bin. But then, I kind of started to miss them.

First up, Maybelline Falsies Flared Mascara. Now many, many moons ago (2012) I bought this after seeing Ingrid Nilsen rave about it (off topic, but I'm so so proud of her right now, congratulations on coming out!). I loved it, I used one up in no time. Then I repurchased and really didn't like it. It felt like it was dry and flaky, so much different from my original, beloved mascara. Because there was an offer on Maybelline mascaras, I decided to give this another try.
I'm on the fence. On first use I jumped for joy: back again were the days of lashes that were miles long and stayed curled without me using eyelash curlers. There's length and volume! I was so happy! But after a few weeks, the dryness came back. I think the formula is just a lot dryer than others. I feel like maybe I should give the brush a really good clean to remove the clumps. I love the fact that this mascara has a curved brush, I find them so much easier to use. But maybe I should look for alternatives with curved wands - maybe Lash Sensational or Colossal CatEyes? I have actually owned the latter, but was unsure about the volume (I felt like multiple coats were needed). Is Lash Sensational better than Falsies Flared? Maybe it'll have to be my next mascara purchase...

My sister absolutely swears by the Mega Plush Mascara; with its flexible brush and huge volume, it just covers all the bases. Mine got thrown out because what was left of it had dried up, and my sister's praises of it pushed me to repurchase. I'm not sure if it's as amazing as she says, but I definitely like it! The creamy formula does, however, sometimes end up on my eyelids.

My final mascara purchase was a bit of an impulse buy. When I first started using 'grown up' make up, I used MaxFactor Masterpiece Waterproof and Masterpiece Max mascaras. More recently, looking at them at the Maxfactor counter just filled me with nostalgia. But I always flinched when I saw the price (the ones I had owned previously had always been bought for me). I know they're not much more expensive than Maybelline, but a few pounds is a few pounds.
I bought it on a whim, because it was on 3 for 2. It's great, but it wasn't as good as I remembered it to be (maybe I'm a more experienced mascara user). I do love that I can use it on my bottom lashes without looking weird (my bottom lashes are quite long), and can build it up on the top. It definitely doesn't pass the crying test (got to admit, I cry quite a bit), and ends up everywhere. Maybe I should have gone for the Masterpiece Waterproof...


Previously, I didn't use a lot of primer on my face. I had Maybelline Baby Skin, which I just popped on my oily areas. But then I'd always wonder why my face ate up foundation. So I bought MaxFactor Facefinity All Day Primer. I wasn't too sure about the texture (it almost feels a bit grainy), but I can't argue with facts. I've tried it with a couple of different foundations and it makes them all last so much longer. I don't know why I didn't use primer properly before!

I read a lot of reviews for L'oréal Infallible Foundations, and ended up buying the 24 Hour Matte option. Partially because it seems more portable than a glass bottle, but also because most of my other foundations are dewy. It's also slightly cheaper than its non-matte counterpart, which is always good. With my combination skin, I wasn't sure how well this would work. It's more tricky to apply than foundations with a more liquid consistency, and tends to cling to dry patches on my skin. However, if my face has been moisturised and I use primer underneath, it's amazing. It really does last all day!


Now here are the two products that drove me to go into Boots. I just had to repurchase them. I had a huge moral dilemma before I bought these, because I worried about L'oréal's ethics. But in the end I decided that these were items that I used a lot and at this moment in time, value for money is very important to me. Plus they were on 3 for 2 in Boots so I thought I'd save a bit of cash.

First up is Color Riche Eyeshadow Quad in Marron Glacé (can't find a link on Boots). I replaced this because my old one smashed. It's just so handy to put in my travel makeup bag - better than carting a Naked Palette around! I like this quad because you can achieve a smokey eye easily and the brown tones are less harsh than using black and grey shadows. They're highly pigmented and blend easily - even the double ended sponge applicator is useful, something that's rare in drugstore eyeshadows! It's just a good all rounder; quick to apply yet it looks like you took time to get ready!

As for the Super Liner Perfect Slim in Black Intense, I tried alternative liquid eyeliners but cheaper options just didn't compare. It's long lasting and so easy to use. Because the tip is so long, you can kind of lay it across your eye and cheat your way into having a neat line. My previous one lasted absolutely ages as well, I was almost surprised when it finally ran out after almost two years of use! My only problem with it is that the nib tends to drag a bit if you're applying over eyeshadow - sometimes I use another eyeliner over the top to create a more defined line...

Natural Collection Blusher in Peach Melba and Rosey Glow; Max Factor Creme Puff Blush in Lovely Pink

I'd had my eye on the MaxFactor Creme Puff Blush for a while; I felt like everyone gave it glowing reviews and it and whenever I looked at it, I just thought it was beautiful. I went for Lovely Pink, after swatching my sister's on my arm countless times. It's a really subtle colour, which I like because it just makes is so much more versatile. The colour does start to fade as the day goes on but the shimmer stays put. I really like the look of the Nude Mauve shade too, but I'm more than happy with this colour for now!

I didn't really mean to end up with two Natural Collection blushers. I went into Boots for Rosey Glow before a doctor's appointment and, in my haste, picked up Peach Melba (you can see my confusion, they do look quite similar and they'd been stocked incorrectly). I ended up picking up the right one whilst in Cardiff. Rosey Glow is so similar, possibly even a dupe, for Benefit Dallas. I'm serious. 
And the reason I wanted it? Pale girls of the world rejoice - you can contour with it! Well, not the weird stripy face contour, but it can definitely be used to add shape to your face. And I love it because every time I try bronzer to define my face, I look ridiculous (even after I went to the Benefit counter and had a lady show me how to use Hoola on my skin tone). I've actually used this under my cheekbones with the Creme Puff Blush above it as highlighter.
But I'm not going to forget about Peach Melba; it's a lovely rose colour with a slight orange undertone. Peach coloured. It doesn't work in the hollows of my cheeks, but it does look good used as a blusher. Natural Collection Blushers are matte, unlike MaxFactor Creme Puff, and have seriously good pay off for £1.99!



Prior to this, the only blushers that I owned were both No7. I have the Blush Tint Powder in Coral Flush, which is a really pigmented pink colour, and their Blush Tint Stick in Blossom, which is an absolute nightmare to apply (I seem to end up getting foundation all over it!). I still use the No7 blushers, but far less frequently now. these new ones work better for every day.

I think I may have to ban myself from Boots and Superdrug until I've used this lot up. I can't help myself; I just love trying new things!

2 comments

  1. Great haul! I have Lash Sensational and it's really good, I haven't tried the Falsies Flared to compare though. I'm on a makeup spending ban myself haha...but those blushers look so pretty... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great products! I love the natural collection blushes!
    I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! If you want to take part have a look on my blog :)
    The Everyday Life of Rachel

    ReplyDelete