Nadiya: Queen of the Bake Off




So if you're British you'll of course know that The Great British Bake Off final was last night. And my favourite contestant, Nadiya, won!

But there was something Nadiya said that struck me quite hard:

"I am never, ever going to put boundaries on myself ever again. I'm never going to say 'I can't do it.'
I'm never going to say, 'maybe.'
I'm never going to say 'I don't think I can.'
I can and I will."

I know this is a show about baking, and I know it sounds silly, but her words are important. As someone with trouble managing her anxiety, I'm always saying "I can't do it" (often whilst crying down the phone to my mum/boyfriend). But through all the sobbing and doubting myself, I have it in me to accomplish what I set out to do. Yeah, my quest isn't to win a baking competition, but I still need to believe in myself. I need to believe that I can do things on my own without panicking. I'm not going to go out tomorrow and go into town alone then get a long distance train somewhere, but that doesn't mean I never will. There is no maybe; I will be able to do it.

And that's why we have to listen to Nadiya's words.

You can do it, you can and you will.

No comments