Reading Round Up 2016 - Part 1


After my Reading Round Up posts in 2015 (here and here), I thought I'd carry on into 2016. I feel like I'm reading a lot faster this year, probably due to the fact that I've been listening to Audible books a lot. I'm well on my way to my Goodreads goal of 25 books, maybe I'll beat it!



Crown of Midnight 
I really enjoyed catching up with Maas' Throne of Glass series this year; it definitely picks up a lot from the first book. This one was packed with lots of action and intrigue. After reading the first one I though "I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if I want to read the series" but Crown of Midnight really made me hungry for more.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 
I listened to the audiobook of Hitchhikers, buying it cheaply on iTunes between Audible credits. I really like the version with Stephen Fry as it makes me reminiscent of the 2005 film adaptation. It's just a modern classic, perfect in all of its weirdness.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 
On with my quest to listen to all of the Harry Potter audiobooks! Perhaps my least favourite Harry Potter book, but definitely still 5 stars. I'm very fond of Stephen Fry's narration, as you can probably tell!

The Tales of Max Carrados 
Another Stephen Fry audiobook; it was a free gift on Audible. Very similar in plot and style to the Sherlock Holmes stories, but just not my cup of tea!

Heir of Fire 
I was surprised that I didn't enjoy Heir of Fire as much as the others, considering that the series felt like it was getting better and better. It started well, but there was a bit of a lull in plot through the middle of the book. I was still very happy with the story progression, but just felt like the pace dropped right down.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 
Not much to report on this one, Harry Potter is Harry Potter. All these audiobooks have made me want to rewatch the whole series. Good thing I got them all on Bluray for Christmas!

Queen of Shadows 
Maas was back on form with this one! I tore through this one and loved every page! So many twists and turns and strong female characters. All of the characters have developed so much since book one, and what I thought was just a little YA series has become a proper high fantasy saga. I'm so excited for the sequel to come out later this year...

Kindred Spirits  
This cute little short story was released by Rainbow Rowell for World Book Day, and surrounds people queuing up for the new Star Wars film. I can't resist anything that Rowell writes, and this was just so adorable!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 
I'm really getting through these Harry Potter audiobooks! I really enjoy listening to them if it gets quiet at work; seeing as I've read them a thousand times I don't have to pay full attention. However, the audiobooks make you notice things that you might have glossed over and forgotten about. Words can't describe my love for HP!

The Martian 
I bought this book for Kris after we watched the film. We had wanted to read the book first, but never got around to it. It's not the usual genre for either of us but it was amazing regardless. Some of the scientific stuff goes over your head, but it wouldn't be the same without it. I love how realistic it seems (for a book about a man on Mars) and the humour just keeps you smiling.

The Girl of Ink and Stars 
I have to admit: I bought this because it looked cool. They were really pushing it in Waterstones, and had a big table dedicated to it. You can't tell from the above photo, but even the pages are intricately illustrated. It's the story of a cartographer's daughter, who joins the search party when her best friend goes missing. It's a lovely book, but feels too short to really get into the story. The opening half of the book was so beautiful and created a vivid picture of the island, but the second just felt like it was moving way too fast in order to cram the story into 228 pages. I suppose it is intended for children, so if I was 10 years younger I'd probably enjoy it a lot more!

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 
I have to admit, I haven't actually finished listening to this yet. As you can imagine, it's very very long! I think, because of the length, this is the Harry Potter book that I've read the least. But it makes me nostalgic for it's original release - it was the first Harry Potter book that I pre-ordered. The day it was released we were meant to be travelling down to visit family in Bedfordshire, but I refused to leave until the postman brought me my Harry Potter!


What have you been reading in 2016?

No comments